The Networked Library Project looks at the artist’s library as a creative research space, a source for collection, identity and practice. It embraces the natural impulse towards curiosity, activism, exchange and occasional eccentricity.
The project is designed to enable artists to share their library with a fellow artist and enter into a personal and collaborative dialogue. The outcome of this dialogue is designed to be a part of a larger network that invokes an affinity with accessibility and creative research.
The invited participant will visit the host’s library, choose a book (or a selection of books) to research and provide viralnet.net with a “book report.” The report will be a response to the collection and the personal experiences derived from reading the selected book(s).
Citing Martha Rosler’s Library as one of the influences for the project, the “book reports” will function as a “representational strategy and descriptive tool.” In addition to the reports, our Networked Library Project will curate and archive links and references to other outlier libraries and like-minded projects.
This project furthers viralnet.net’s core interest in artists whose creative practices invoke digital and performative tendencies that question our conventional assumptions towards research, media, science, and art making.
- Abra Ancliffe: Personal Libraries Library
- The Art of Google Books
- Fantasies of the Library
- The Floating Library
- The Fluxus Performance Workbook
- Future Library Art Project
- The Guardian: The Collectors Corner
- Nina Katchadourian: Sorted Books Project
- The Library As Incubator Project
- Library of the Printed Web
- Library of Unread Books
- Michael Mandiberg: Printing Wikipedia
- Kerry Mansfield: The Expired Book
- The Meermanno Museum: The Art of Reading
- MOCA: FULL HAUS: The Seeld Library
- Heidi Neilson: The Outernet Library
- Papers of A.M. Fine
- Prelinger Library
- The Public Knowledge Library
- The Reanimation Library
- Martha Rosler Library
- The Serving Library
- Tim Schwartz: Playing the Library
- Stony Island Arts Bank